Wednesday 8 August 2012

Start of Madcows 5x5 Training :)


Weight - 169lbs

Bill Starr’s MADCOW 5x5


why?


This is a very well known programme that has bought Intermediate lifters around the world success, it is hugely popular in American Colleges and universities worldwide for its simplicity & results.
After trying the Westside method I was finding that after the Max Effort day I felt awful and after a few weeks my CNS (Central Nervous System) felt beat to hell. This may be due to my intermediate status (not advanced) and limited no. of years under the bar.

Madcow 5x5 however has linear progression (you are adding weight to the bar each week, +2.5KG to each lift) which I found produced significant gains for me last time round in 5/3/1.
Working within a 5 rep range rather than 1RM should be easier on my CNS
The key reason I opted for Madcow is to improve my technique, I will be TRYING to squat 3x a week / bench 2x a week hopefully reinforcing better technique than WSB. This is because when you are lifting between 90-105% of your current 1RM your technique will falter due to the stress placed on it, whereas 5 reps should not have this impact.

Along with the 5 main compound exercises & accessories I will be adding in some extra work:

- Vertical Pulling 2x a week
- Abs 2x a week
- Calves 1x a week
- Side Laterals 1x a week


Routine layout






my Routine layout


Week 1 Day 1


Workout Notes


Really enjoyed this workout although it does take a long time as I had to warm up Lower body then Squat then warm up upper body etc. 

Good - Lower back held up really well after my muscle tweak last week deadlifting
              Some PR's

              I do not feel destroyed after I did on Sheiko / Westside 
Thoughts 
Bench was incredibly heavy on the last set and thought on the 4th/5th set I might fail,          maydecrease the 5RM I have started with
- Still not a fan of BB Rows although I will stick with them
- Not going to deadlift on Wednesday as I am still a little weary of my lower back



Miscellaneous
Went to the Chiropractor today and he sorted out some of my alignment issues I have been having, will do this 1x a month I think. He recommended I try swimming 1x a week to try to increase flexibility etc so I want to try to do this and see if it pays off as I am very tight all 
over.

Bought some of this today :)




Am literally salivating over the thought of eating these




Music

Skillet (Hero)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9x2CHQClTU




No comments:

Post a Comment